What You'll Find...


An Ongoing Discussion about Christ and Culture in a Post-Postmodern Context.
or
Resurrection-Shaped Stories from the Emmaus Road.

What They're Saying...

(about the book)
"A remarkable book. Raffi's is a dramatic and powerful story and I am privileged to have been part of it."
- N.T. Wright

(about the blog)
"Raffi gets it."
- Michael Spencer, a.k.a. The Internet Monk

Obama, Abortion and the Kingdom of God -- OR -- Adventures in Missing the Point

I ordinarily hate to shine the spotlight on one of the loyal visitors to this blog, as few as they are, but seeing as one of the comments to my last post was precisely germane to the point I was making, with sincere apologies and the utmost appreciation for engaging in this conversation:

Michael Awbrey said...
I have recently been in conversation with several people regarding one issue voting (i.e. the abortion issue) in this year's race. What are your thoughts on Obama and abortion? Why are you not a one issue voter?

I was frankly sad when I read the question. I felt like N.T. Wright after a long lecture on biblical cosmology when someone in the audience invariably will ask "But what do you think Hell is like?"

What are my thoughts about Obama and abortion? I like Obama, and I don't like abortion. I guess that's the short answer. For a slightly lengthier discussion about my views on abortion, I've posted once before on that issue.

But the whole point of the last post was that whatever my thoughts about Obama and whatever my views about abortion, its the conjunction of those views that I'm having trouble with. If I take seriously Jesus' message about the Kingdom of God and how it has and will finally come on earth as it is in heaven, and if I take seriously the NT writers' vision about that same issue, there can be no way in the world that I could think that supporting one or another candidate, even campaigning for them, let alone voting for them, would fulfill one tenth of one percent of my calling in this world, namely, implementing the death and resurrection of Jesus in my life in such a way as to anticipate the final new creation.

Let me put it another way. If God called me to deal with the abortion issue, rather than switching my vote to a pro-life candidate, I would think my responsibility would be to adopt an unwanted child, or as many as I could support, and when people asked me why I had done such a thing, I would say, in whatever context presented itself and with whatever variation was appropriate to the circumstance, "because Jesus is Lord."

You see, the reason Christianity mushroomed from a few hundred disciples to nearly half the Roman Empire by the 400's was not because Christians voted for Christian candidates, or for single Christian issues. It was because, for example, when a plague struck a town and all the rich folk, including the doctors, fled, the Christians stayed behind and nursed not only their own but anyone who needed it. This was an unheard-of ethic in the ancient world, and when people asked them "why on earth are you doing this?," I'm pretty sure they responded, in whatever context presented itself and with whatever variation was appropriate to the circumstances, "because Jesus is Lord."

That's what changes hearts and minds. That's what creates another brick of the Kingdom that God will eventually build the city with. Not (usually) a president. Not (usually) legislation of moral issues.

What's your single issue? OK, now, what are you gonna do about it?

Grace and Peace,
Raffi


Subscribe TwitThis

8 Comments:

  1. Ian Barker said...
     

    I appreciate your comments, but it seems kind of irresponsible to vote pro-choice when really you are pro-life. Are you really saying that you see other issues as more important than abortion? Because if you don't, then your vote for abortion doesn't make sense.

    I get the whole putting words (or votes) into action by adopting a child, but what if I don't have the means to adopt a child right now? Should I just vote for abortion?

    It seems that ending the legalization of abortion is one giant step for new creation.

  2. The Mr. said...
     

    Raffi,

    I feel the same. (I sparked quite a stir at my site when I commented that I was not a one issue voter - much for the same reason you are not.) In fact, I have even commented at times that it might be a faithful expression of ones confidence in Jesus to not vote at times.

    Thanks for picking up the questions.

  3. Pin H. Chen said...
      This comment has been removed by the author.
  4. Pin H. Chen said...
     

    Raffi,

    Although I do NOT support Obama, I totally AGREE with your assertion that the abortion issue should not be a deal breaker.

    To be clear, I DO NOT support abortion rights. However, there ARE OTHER issues with which we (self-confessing born again disciple of Jesus the Christ) should be just as concerned: religious freedom, economic oppression of the poor, social equality, racial reconciliation? Weren't these the issues, about which Jesus spoke, and are still problematic in America, today? Don't these issues deserve equal time?

    More particularly, is legislation really the way Jesus would attack the problem (or any problem for that matter)?

    What is Jesus about: writing the law on tablets of stone or writing in our hearts? Isn't discipleship the weapon of choice for Jesus?

    "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations."

    If we had not spent the enormous amount of money, time, effort, and other resources trying to overturn "Roe v. Wade" and had, instead, spent it on "making disciples", would abortion be an issue today?

    Expanding the Kingdom of God MUST be the priority of the Body of Christ. Thus, when we concern ourselves with political issues, shouldn't we be more concern with issues that deal with obstacle to or opportunity for that effort.

  5. Raffi Shahinian said...
     

    Michael,

    Thanks for chiming back in. I must apologize for thinking that you had misunderstood what I had said when it seems you were simply thrwoing me a softball to hit out of the park.

    Adventurer,

    Amen. It seems we Christians are (not always, and not all, but in general) extremely converned about a child in the womb, but our concern seems to diminish once they are actually born.

    Ian,

    The point I was making is that I don't equate my vote for a political candidate as either a vote "for abortion" or "against abortion." It is my life that is a sign that I am either for or against abortion; do you see what I mean? To put it another way, I am not pro-life, I am pro-love (which encompasses a world of issues, including not aborting a baby). Like the God I see revealed in Jesus who does not force (legislate?) human beings to love, but impells them by His own example. That's the example I strive to follow. That's the life I strive to live.

    P.S. Be careful with the "I don't have the means right now" argument. Think about the implications of such a statement.

    Grace and Peace guys,
    Raffi

  6. Ian Barker said...
     

    I understand the "pro-love" thing. I just think that voting for the legalization of the murder of babies is not very loving. Sorry to be blunt.

    Obama talks about equal rights for all but forgets that babies in the womb should be at the front of the line in getting their "rights."

    Perhaps we disagree because my vote leaves me accountable before heaven as well as my actions.

    I just can't vote pro-choice if I'm going to stand before God one day.

    I hear you on the "means" argument. My point was to say that adopting a child does not give me an excuse to vote pro-choice.

    Thanks!

  7. Raffi Shahinian said...
     

    I hear you too, brother. I just don't think God's gonnas be as much concerned with our voting record on that day as you seem to. But, really, I see clearly where you're coming from and I thank God for your conviction on the issue.

    Grace and Peace,
    Raffi

  8. Ian Barker said...
     

    Good! Thanks for sharing your convictions and hearing mine. Blessings.

Post a Comment



 

     



Creative Commons License
Parables of a Prodigal World by Raffi Shahinian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.