What You'll Find...


An Ongoing Discussion about Christ and Culture in a Post-Postmodern Context.
or
Resurrection-Shaped Stories from the Emmaus Road.

What They're Saying...

(about the book)
"A remarkable book. Raffi's is a dramatic and powerful story and I am privileged to have been part of it."
- N.T. Wright

(about the blog)
"Raffi gets it."
- Michael Spencer, a.k.a. The Internet Monk

In Jesus' Name?

My apologies to anyone who was expecting a follow-up to the "Lord's Prayer Through Middle Eastern Eyes" post, but I've been stuck home with the flu for a few days and my copy of Bailey's book is at the office, so I've got to put that project on hold for a bit.

But on a related topic, and an offshoot of iMonk's recent thoughts on prayer, I've been thinking quite a bit recently about the whole "in Jesus' name" thing, you know, that bit where Jesus promised that whatever we pray in His name He will do...

And of course, we've all heard the "God, please let me have a convertible BMW, white with tan interior, in Jesus' name, Amen"-type prayers and thought "That can't be what Jesus meant!"

Well, no, I don't think that's what Jesus meant. And I think the clue to what He did mean has to do with the concept of "in the name of...", a concept that meant something very different in the ancient world than what it does today. And while I'm still way too sick (and way too uneducated) to describe the concept in any detail, I think that when Jesus asked us to pray in His name, what he was referring to was to prayers consistent with the principles for which he stood, the most obvious ones being Love and the Kingdom of God, but also things much more subtle, like the concept of God saving us not from evil but through it and out the other side.

Now that would automatically rule out the convertible BMW prayer, but what about more serious issues. What about the prayers for that sick kid, that alcoholic loved one, etc. Why don't they always get granted? That's kind of what iMonk was pondering, and I think the answer is that, in some unknown way, they are not really being prayed "in Jesus' name," no matter what the concluding words of the prayer might say (in fact, I think it's redundant, and missing the point, to end all prayers with the words "in Jesus' name").

Because sometimes, what we really, really want, from the best part of our inner being, is simply a misunderstanding of the greater good. I'm always drawn back to Jesus in Gethsemane, praying with all His might that God prevent Him from having to be tortured and humiliated unjustly. Pretty reasonable prayer, right?

Anyway, like I said, I'm way to sick to think this thing out thoroughly. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject, though, while I try to recover from this nasty bug.

Oh, and if you have the time, please pray for me to get better.

In Jesus' name.

Grace and Peace,
Raffi


Subscribe TwitThis

1 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    Pastor Tom Baker (from the Law and Gospel radio program KFUO.com)says that when we pray properly, that God's answer to our prayers will always be 'Yes'.

    Praying properly is the key.

    The Apostle Paul tells us that we don't know how to pray properly, but that the Holy Spirit spirit intercedes for us to help us with our petitions.

    Anyway, back to the always'Yes' answer. When we include "not my will be done but thine", God will will always answer 'Yes' because He will always do His will.

    Was that sort of a trick question, or trick answer?

    Not really. I think it is quite biblical and quite true.

    Thanks Raffi!

Post a Comment



 

     



Creative Commons License
Parables of a Prodigal World by Raffi Shahinian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.